Tuesday, February 3, 2015

First Day of School y Más

     My first day of school went muy well. Pili, my host mother, walked me to the school and I met with the other students. We all had our evaluations which consisted of an oral and written exam. Then la profesora took us to see the changing of the guard at the Presidential Palace. We stood in the plaza in front of the palace which is the center of Quito. 

    After that shindig, we visited a couple of churches nearby. I kid you not, the walls of these churches are caked in gold. The beautiful buildings are ridiculously big and completely decked out. 



    Entonces, some other students and I went exploring. We found 3 malls within a few blocks of each other, and a park where we ate a fruit called chirimoya. Speaking of food--my favorite subject--everything is so cheap. And delicious. I've been eating lunch for about $4: salad, soup, rice, meat, fruit, and a bottled water. There are so many different flavors here. I gotta catch 'em all.  

     Today was my second day of school; we started grammar classes. Much fun. But then we went to the market. That was a real treat, and I need y'all to help me not spend all my money there. 



    As I've said before, the streets are always full of life in Quito. Like right now at 10pm there's live music playing somewhere around my block. Every time you turn a corner there's someone selling you fruit or gum or water or who knows. It's a surprise every time, and here's a picture of a man painting landscapes with motor oil:
¡Que chévere! (How awesome!) See, I'm learning stuff.

Chao! 

1 comment:

  1. The culture seems so immersive! Love the architecture of the churches, they're very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete