Saturday, March 14, 2015

¡A Mindo!

     I have been enjoying my time here to the fullest. I've been getting involved in the culture, tasting new foods everyday, picking up the slang, and listening to local music. I went to a concert at the bar, El Pobre Diablo, and saw Spiritual perform. They're a reggae band from Quito. This band is a pretty big deal here. The energy at the concert was charged, and everyone in the crowd knew every word to every song. You should definitely look them up. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeZwbmHRL80

     I've been making local friends and closer connections with those in my school. My professors are my role models, and my host family has included me in their lives. I'm very appreciative for my family here. Pily is a woman of many strengths and grace. My life here is full of blessings and adventures. I can't believe I'm already at the halfway mark in my semester. 

     My professors taught me a card game called Cuarenta. They told me this game is special to Ecuador. I wrote down the rules, and I've been practicing. My host mother is so good at this game; I haven't been able to beat her yet. I can't wait to show everyone at home how to play.

    Last weekend my friends and I hopped on a bus to Mindo. It's about 2 hours by bus from Quito, and costs $2.50. Mindo is a small-small-small town with much to offer: hiking tours of the waterfalls, zip-lining, butterfly sanctuary, chocolate factory, water rafting, and repelling. We all split a hostal for 8 bucks--not bad, huh? 








     Mindo is an incredible place; the air is clean, the water is fresh, the naturaleza is breathtaking. 

     Last night was Cari's--one of the students here--last night with us. We all went out to Plaza Foch and danced the whole night away. Plaza Foch is filled with bars, clubs, restaurants, and everything for the nightlife. We love meeting people from here. Everyone has been welcoming and we exchange pleasant conversations in Spanish. We had so much fun dancing, singing, laughing, and just being silly. I'm going to miss nights like these.



Hugs. Chao.




No comments:

Post a Comment