Monday, April 27, 2015

Keeping Up

           By now I’ve finished my classes, and I’ve been doing a month long internship in a reserve 2 hours southwest from Quito. It’s in a beautiful cloud forest, and it has rained almost every day since I’ve been here. The hardest part of living here is trying to stay dry from sweat or rain. We are learning so much about how to organically farm coffee, grass to feed cows, sugarcane, and a handful of vegetables. I enjoy picking lettuce for lunch, and taking care of the cows. This week we are starting to learn how to ferment sugarcane, salt, grasses, and alfalfa for the cows. We also have chickens and horses, but I mostly clear trails with a machete and work with the cafe trees.

            The reserve sits further and higher up into the mountains than the pueblo by the road, and the locals from there are very sweet. The kids are never shy and they always want to know what we’re up to. We were repainting a sign for the reserve and we invited them to join. They were so happy to hang out with new friends that they showed us a waterfall 20 minutes down the road. Ecuador is such a beautiful country; I’m happy to experience the nature out here. 




hugs. chao.

No comments:

Post a Comment